Friday, January 15, 2016

I love Glen.

You might know that I'm a talker. One of the things I most love to talk about is music. I have zero musical ability myself, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. A few years ago, I started going to live shows pretty routinely. When I started attending, I discovered the power of live music. There's an amazing energy and thrill when you get to hear music you love in a live setting surrounded by fellow fans.

My absolute favorite person to see live is Glen Hansard. Ugh. He slays me. His voice is wonderful, but there is such genuine emotion when he performs. All the feelings in the world. I first saw him while I was travel nursing. I went to his concert- ALONE- in L.A. That's right. I went to a concert by myself. I'm so very glad that I did. Not only because until that point it had been the greatest concert of my life; it also showed me how important it was to do the things I wanted to even if no one else was around. I've seen him two more times since then. Again in L.A. with Iron & Wine and The Head and the Heart. (I KNOW. I nearly died with happiness that night.) And most recently when he came to Seattle. I think the Seattle show was my absolute favorite. Maybe it's just because I fall more and more under his spell with time. Or maybe it was the shared loved in the venue. Or the fact that he performed part of the encore from the box seat! Anyway, I have zero photos or videos. There was a sign requesting none to be taken, but even if there hadn't been I wouldn't have more than a photo. A few years ago I was at a David Cook show. After it was over, I realized I had essentially watched the whole thing through my camera screen. Fail. Major fail. Talk about not being in the moment. From then on, I told myself I could take one photo at the start of a concert and that was it. I wanted to actually soak in the performances and I've never regretted that new rule.

So, here's the moral of the story:
Check out Glen Hansard.
Go see music live. Unless you hate music. And crowds. And fun.
Don't live life through your phone/camera screen.

Now, someone else didn't follow the rules, so here are a couple videos from the Seattle show. Of course, they won't compare to what it was like in real life, but it will give you an idea of his sound.


What musicians do you love? Please share! I'm always looking for new music.
 photo signature_zpsxffja1lk.png

No comments:

Post a Comment